How to wear colored eyeliners

Allie DarumImage via Wikipedia
Colored Eyeliners are the rage these days with every company offering a myriad of hues. Not everyone is comfortable using them. Some prefer to stick to the regular black/brown/grey and the occasional navy. While there are others like me who just love colored eyeliners to bits, I have colors ranging from lavender to moss green to silver to purple to baby pink.

Colored eyeliner can bring out your eyes far better than black or brown eyeliners which, when heavily applied, make your eyes look smaller than they really are. However colored eyeliners can make your upper lash line look thinner (making lashes look sparse) as well as the eye less defined. Especially when you use colors that are lighter, or not in the category of grey/navy blue.

Here are a few tricks I use to successful incorporate colored eyeliners into my daily look

1. It is important to make sure that your eyeliner does not clash with the outfit. Choose an eyeliner that compliments the colors in your outfit, it need not be the exact same shade, but if I were wearing a light green top, it is better to wear dark green or raisin colored eyeliner than pink

2. If you are using an eye shadow, use only neutral, nude colors like light brown, taupe. Do not use an eye shadow the same color as the eyeliner!

3. Colored eyeliners in pencil look far better than those in liquid. At least those colors that you plan to wear in matt, non-sparkly shades look better in pencil.

4. A trick that I use to overcome the problem of sparse eyelashes and ill-defined eyes look is to first use a liquid eyeliner in black (water proof, smudge proof) to make a very thin line very close to my upper lashes. I let it dry completely for 2-3 minutes (or else you'll end up smudging it in the next step) and then using my colored eyeliner pencil I make a thick line directly above the black line, leaving no gap between the two. This gives my eyes a well defined look because of the black eyeliner. I call this technique grounding.

5. For the lower eye line I use colors that are either very intense and dark like black, navy, mehndi green, dark purple or very light like nude (Chambor makes a good nude/skin tone with sparkle – great for lining the lower lash to make the eyes appear fresher. I avoid white, as it looks very fake to me)

Products to try: Like I mentioned a number of companies make colored eyeliners today. Mentioned below are some brands for you to start with:

1. Chambor: Rs. 300/- . Has very nice nude eyeliner with sparkle that I love using on my lower lash line.

2. Lakme Glide On Eye Pencil(read review here): Rs. 250/-. Has a very nice purple, golden green and bronze

3. Jordana (Read review here): Excellent for those scared of trying very outta the way colors but still wanna experiment then Jordana has nice matt shades like smokey blacks, black browns, dark greens, dark purples for about 100 bucks.

4. Colorbar (read review here): Rs. 225/- . Has a very pretty jewel green (called moss green) and truffle brown
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

  1. Great tips Tanveer...I also line my lash line with black eyeliner when using colored liners coz I have light eyes n without some dark shade they'll look too alien-like. Except I apply black eyeliner after the colored one :)
    ♥XX♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tips! I love coloured eyeiners. Infact, I like them more than the liquid ones. Pencil liners give you soft and smudgy look. Love them!

    Thanks for Chambor tip! I also don't like white liners. They look too fake and are very evident on your eyes. Will buy one for myself. :) I just cannot pull off pinks on my eyes. They make me look ill. Gald they work for you.

    Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips, Tanvi! Makes me wanna try some! I normally use Biotique kajal or Sringar kajal on my lower lash :) upper lash, Revlon colorstay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Cynthia: Thks :D

    @ Rati: I hate whites too on the waterline.. Glad to be of help :D.. I am a fan of eyeliners. pencil, liquid i just love them all.

    @ Divija: I don't use kajal at all! first of all it makes me look completely goth and i have tried biotique kajal. It smudges so bad on me. I look like a racoon at the end of the day.. Basically kajal is just not me.

    But how is this revlon colorstay? do a review na!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow ! great tips !
    even I was trying o find a good nude liner ,, seems my search will end here :)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use a bronze liner on my lower lash...its close to nude bt has jst a hint of goldenish tint...jst bought it recently 2 celebrate the end of months of studying...well temporary end..:-}

    Btw is dat ur eye in d pic??Haha..looks //lar!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Simran: Never seen you wearing this thing.. Glad to know you are celebrating!

    and no, tht is not my eye :D.. Just an image i found on the net.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ya i jst got it after cat got over last week...my bus left me at manish market n I hadn't been to dat place since ages..felt too tempted!!Will show u wen u come home!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thank you for taking the time out to add your valuable comment. I will revert as soon as possible.

COMMENT MODERATION POLICY FOR ADDICTED TO BLUSH BLOG

I delete blatant self-promotion and comments where it is clear the post material was not carefully read. If you are not going to bother to engage with the post, I am not going to bother posting your comment.

I also delete ALL comments with links - even if the link is to your blog.

Don't be mean to other commentators - it serves no purpose other than showcase your own personality in a bad light.

Popular Posts